Wednesday, June 23, 2010

What Are You Doing This Weekend?

Hello Friends!

I can't believe I am leaving in just two days!! I'm not sure what you'll be doing this weekend but I've got a pretty full weekend of traveling ahead! eeek! It has been a busy week so far, trying to get the final goodbyes in, and will be finished off tonight at Cirque du Soleil - Alegria with RD! Then tomorrow is my last day in Minnesota, before beginning my adventure to Swaziland! If I missed saying goodbye to anyone, don't worry I'll be back soon! : )

I think I can now say that I am done packing!! I have closed both of my checked bags and, after ditching a few sets of clothes and finally resigning to shipping some things, I am under the 107" requirements! I haven't weighed them yet, so I hope they're under 80 lbs. : / After my interview with MPR yesterday, more on that in a second, I had to do some major packing reorganization. We got an email from the Peace Corps that said we will be spending the night in the hotel in the airport when we get to Johannesburg, meaning we will not be getting our luggage back. So the toiletries and the pjs and the next day's clothes need to be in my carry on. Also, when we get to Swaziland we will have to put one of our bags into storage for three months during our training. Needless to say, I had to reorganize everything, but I think I got it all figured out!

Okay about my interview at MPR! On Monday, my mom saw a tweet from a reporter at MPR that said he was looking for recent college graduates who are joining the Peace Corps to avoid searching for a job in this crummy job market. So I sent him and email and told him I was leaving Friday and had just graduated from the U! Although I hadn't joined the Peace Corps to avoid looking for a job, I am certainly VERY thankful that I do not have to look for a job having just graduated from college. So he came here yesterday to do the interview and take a few pictures of me packing! He said that his story is now kind of going along the lines of my story, people who have joined the Peace Corps/AmeriCorps and are very thrilled to not be looking for a job, because the application process is long and it is not something you can just decide to do because you can't find a job... So anyway, it should air late next week if you are an avid listener of MPR, and if you're not it will be online as well. I won't know when its up because, well, I'll be in the Swaz but if you see it, let me know and if I get a chance I'll see if I can look at it! :)

Finally, I'll just give you a quick overview of my schedule, incase you are interested to know where I'll be and when!

Friday, June 25: 6:45am flight from MSP to Atlanta to meet up with the rest of my group going to Swaziland with "What to Expect" seminars that day.
Saturday, June 26: 7:30pm flight from ATL to Johannesburg
Sunday, June 27: 5 pm arrive in Johannesburg (the time is about 7 hours ahead in Jo'burg and the Swaz. FYI) staying in the hotel in the airport
Monday, June 28: 6:50am flight from Jo'burg to Swaziland (50 min flight)
Tuesday, June 29-Friday, July 2: orientation sessions at the Ngonini Lutheran Farmer's Training Centre.
Friday, July 2: Move to Host Family for the rest of training (end of August)

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers everyone!
Love, Megan

1 comment:

  1. Very cool, Megan! I will keep my ears peeled for the story on MPR!!

    ReplyDelete