Monday, June 14, 2010

Let the Packing Commence!

Well the goodbyes have begun... We just returned from a weekend trip to Texas for Danny's graduation and one last cousin hangout before I leave! Goodbyes are always hard, but it's hard to wrap my head around two years so I'm not really freaking out about the not seeing people for two years part yet.

Packing has been in an awkward state of limbo the past month. I've been acquiring things, but it has been way too early to pack. But with only a week and a half until the big day, I think it's time to begin putting things in compression bags and into the luggage! I pretty much bought a whole new wardrobe (thanks mom and dad!) so no need to worry about packing clothes I'll need to wear too early!

This coming weekend will be my last at RD (shout out to the Nation!) I'll miss you guys! Then the party on Sunday for even more goodbyes : (, before my last day on the ice for two years on Monday! No ice rinks in the Swaz I would bet. Now THAT may be one of the hardest things to get used to! I've never had a break longer than like two months without having my skates on, and my feet do begin to ache for my skates after some time so we'll have to see how that one goes!

I suppose this would also be a good time to mention how to talk/send things to me for the next two years...
Well, you've obviously found my blog (yay!) and this will probably be my main way of communication, I would suspect. I won't have any idea what the exact internet situation is until I get there (the training site as well as my eventual permanent site), but I am bringing my laptop so here's hoping! So until I know more about the internet situation, and I'll let you know when I know, lets all just stick with letters and the blogosphere. ; ) Here's some other ways to get a hold of me:

Blog: megekey.blogspot.com

Email: keyxx019@umn.edu

Skype and Twitter name: megekey (I don't know how often I'll be able to do these but just incase... gotta keep the Nation updated!!)


Below are my mailing addresses, one for letters and one for packages that need a physical place to send other than a PO Box:

Postal Service Address:

Megan Key, PCV

PO Box 2797

Mbabane H100, Swaziland

AFRICA

Courier Service Address:

Megan Key, PCV

Farm 188

Gate 256 Muzi Road

Dalriach West, Mbabane

Swaziland

AFRICA


Here are a few tips from current PCVs about mail:

It takes anywhere from a few weeks to a few months for packages to make the trip from America to Swaziland, and 3 weeks is average. Flat rate boxes are probably the cheapest option from the US post office, don't send things on expedited shipping, they do not come faster than regular 'air mail'.

Note the stressed importance of Africa on the bottom of the address, Swaziland shares a very similar postal code to Switzerland (SD) and it only takes one keystroke form a busy postal worker for a package to end up in Zurich instead of Mbabane. Adding Africa severely diminishes that possibility. Many people believe putting Christian symbols or phrases (i.e. “Jesus Saves”) on packages reduces the likelihood that things will be stolen in the process. In general, though, packages make it there intact.

Thanks to everyone for the support, good thoughts and well wishes for my journey! I hope to see you all on Sunday to say goodbye! : )

Love, Megan

1 comment: