Thursday, October 7, 2010

Happy October!

Hello, Hello!

Well, I’m halfway through the Integration period. Time is just moving along isn’t it! It’s hard to believe its already October… October begins the rainy season here, and once the rain starts, its time to start plowing and planting the maize fields. We had our first thunderstorm last night, and boy was it a big one. Not so much a lot of rain, though it was more than I’ve seen while on this continent, but LOUD thunder. I loved it! The only problem with rain is that it and electricity seem to not be able to exist together at all. So after a few false alarms of the electricity going off and then back on again before I could light a candle, the electricity finally cut out at 7pm last night for good. As in at 6:30 this morning it’s still not back on. So I took that opportunity to go to bed, yup 7pm-a twins game wouldn’t have even started yet… ha ha. So lets all cross our fingers that it comes back soon.
Not too much new is going on here. I went to the Baylor Clinic in town on Tuesday with a few other volunteers and we helped play games with the kids while they waited to be tested. It was fun, but a semi-disaster in that being able to communicate in the same language is kind of key in explaining games and getting the kids into the games. But it was fun, then we went to lunch for Eric’s birthday. So it was a good day, getting away from site, but still “working,” seeing other volunteers and such.
This passed weekend I painted my hut. It was nice to have a project and to see it all finished. And let me tell you, painting a wall that is entirely curved, not so easy. But its finished and looks pretty good! I’ll take some pictures soon and upload them next time I go into town, probably next weekend when I go into town for Teen Club (a fun youth support group for HIV+ kids put on by the clinic) and to the office. Cross fingers the package sent in July has FINALLY arrived… We’ll see.
Speaking of packages, my mom has told me that people are wondering what kinds of things to send in a package. First of all, whatever you send will probably be amazing and I’ll love it. But I’ve compiled a list of a few things I can think of to get ya going: candy/gum/chocolate (Eric’s mom sent M&Ms which made it so don’t be afraid to send chocolate… I’ll probably still eat it even if its melted… ha. Otherwise, sour patch kids, etc are good too. Honestly anything (except licorice…) ), hand sanitizer, books and movies, instant coffee and powder drink mixes (water gets pretty old, pretty fast), granola or cliff bars, magazines, pictures (of you, of me, of you and me, of anything really), spices or cinnamon or anything to make things less bland. Like I said though, anything you send I will absolutely love. But a good thing to keep in mind is that I don’t really have a good trash disposal system here, everything goes out to the pit to be burned (yeah not really good) so obviously wrappers and things are unavoidable, but just something to keep in mind. ; )
Well I think that’s about it for now, nothing else is really new. Hope all is well at home. I’ll see you all in 98 weeks! ; )

Love, Megan

PS: Congrats to Chris and Allie on their engagement! Why all my cousins picked these two years I’m gone to get married I’ll never know…

No comments:

Post a Comment