Sunday, September 5, 2010

Lazy Sundays...

Hi!

Hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday and the long weekend! Make sure to have an extra hamburger at your Labor Day BBQ (or braai as they are called here) for me! : )

Not a whole lot is going on here for the next few days. I think I've figured out why Swazi church services are so long (3-4 hours at least). Because what else do you do on a Sunday if there's no football or baseball game to watch? ; ) Then tomorrow is another holiday, Swaziland's Independence Day! Then, just like in America, schools start again this week. Unlike in America where they've had a 3 month break, the Swazi school children have only had a 3 week break. Think about that when you say summer is too short!

My counterpart stopped by yesterday after another week of workshops. She says she's back for good now, and here's hoping! I am hoping to start the community assessment surveys this week and it turns out she needs to count the children for some funding from some NGO too. So hopefully we'll start that soon, as well as the clinic and school surveys. It'll be good to get started with these things and start working on my report!

I had a lovely day in town yesterday, hanging with Jessica, eating KFC and ice cream. We also found a great internet cafe, that looked not so great, but actually had the fastest internet I've seen in Swaziland. It was as fast as home, I dare say! It was so nice to check Facebook on real Facebook, check my email and tweet! It'll also be good when I want to upload some pictures, which I hope to do soon! I got a lot of shopping done too, which is good. What isn't good is that I filled my backpack plus 3 other bags full of groceries and such. Then had to fight (literally pushing and shoving) to get on a kumbi (once it finally came) to get home. Needless to say my things did not fit in my lap and were spilling over onto my neighbors' laps. I think I'm going to need to learn to limit myself to just filling my backpack on these trips to town. As I was struggling with holding my bags on my lap for the hour long ride home in the back of a 15 passenger van, being jostled around going way too fast on the dirt road, I decided the thing I most missed about home. More than family and friends (sorry but its true), more than Punch Pizza and Dairy Queen blizzards, more than hockey, and more than everything else, I miss getting in your car, driving to Target, picking up everything you need, pushing the cart out to your car, loading it into the trunk, then getting into the drivers seat and going home. Doing your shopping on your own time, in your own space. THAT is what I miss the most about home. So next time you jump in your car and head to Target, or Cub, or Byerly's or Rainbow... think of me in that kumbi. : ) But I think if that is the biggest thing I miss from home, then I'm doing pretty well here. It is annoying, but its obviously not going to kill me. Just something to get used to. And in 2 years when I come home and jump in my car and head to Target, I'll remember my time on the kumbi in Swaziland and be OH so thankful...

Anyway, a lot of you have been wondering if I got your letters/packages that were sent 3-4 weeks ago. I haven't. But now that I am at site, they don't bring us our mail anymore, we have to go into the office to get it. So I hope to go into the office later this week, but we'll see if that happens. If not then next week for sure. : ) Also, I sent out a few letters yesterday dated August 18th, obviously its a little passed that, so sorry for the delay in sending them, I just kept forgetting them! But they're out now and that's what counts I think. ; )

That's about it for now I think. As it is a lazy Sunday afternoon, I think I'm going to go take a nap. Oh also Eric has been asking for a shout out on my blog so here it is. He wants everyone to know he's a regular Forrest Gump when it comes to Ping Pong. Ha. Anyway love you all and miss you! And keep the updates from home coming, I really love hearing them. Send me a Facebook message if you have time, or letters are fun too! If you write me one, I'll write you one back! : )

Love, Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment